News and Events

FDR Law Legal Clinic - Dental Claims

  • Posted

Legal advice from Howard Porter, a specialist litigation executive with FDR Law, based in Palmyra Square, Warrington

Accidental damage to teeth

Q: One of my front teeth was recently broken in an accident. My dentist fitted a temporary crown but unfortunately this has fallen out. The gap is unsightly and painful at mealtimes but I can’t afford any more treatment. What should I do?  

A: If the accident wasn’t your fault but was caused by someone else, you may be able to bring a claim for compensation against them to fund your dental treatment.

Your first action is to see a specialist personal injury or litigation lawyer to establish whether you would have a realistic chance of making a successful claim. If they think you have a good case, they will probably have you examined by an expert in endodontic or restorative dental surgery.

The dental specialist would prepare a report which would recommend the most appropriate treatment for you, taking into account your age, occupation and any other influencing lifestyle factors, such as smoking.

They may recommend extraction of the tooth and insertion of a fixed dental implant or the restoration of the damaged tooth and the insertion of a ‘permanent’ crown. As a ‘permanent’ crown is likely to need replacing after eight to ten years, your solicitor can factor the additional cost of future treatment into any claim.

A settlement package would therefore enable you to fund the cost of immediate dental treatment, compensate you for your pain and suffering, and provide money to fund future treatment.

Now there’s a solution to bring a smile back to your face!

If you have suffered either mentally or physically as a result of an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a claim  to fund medical treatment, equipment or extra care. For more information, please get in touch with Howard Porter on 01925 230000 or email